This Is a Little Bit Less Awkward
About a year and a half ago, I was nominated for a Liebster Award by a fellow blogger. This caused me a great deal of social anxiety which you can read about here. Today, Peter at Reinvention Diary nominated me for another Liebster Award. It’s always a good feeling when someone tells you (and the general public that reads their blog) that they enjoy your writing. This time around, I’m not going to stress about this. I’m honored – Peter is a fantastic writer whose posts make me think (in a good way) – and I’m happy to pass on the compliment.
Here are the rules for those of you who are unfamiliar:
As a blogger, I’m a horrible networker. I like to actually follow individuals and what they have to say instead of following hundreds of blogs just for the sake of “getting my name out there” or something. Here are a few of the blogs that I really enjoy reading (that I haven’t nominated in the past). To the bloggers I’ve nominated, this just means I really like your blog; don’t take it as a requirement to continue this “award” which is more or less a glorified chain letter.
James Patrick Casey writes about whatever he is thinking about and usually manages to make me laugh and/or think while doing so. I also always enjoy our comment threads that could spawn blog posts of their own.
Unexpected Wanderlust is a group of travelers who write about…traveling. I love reading their posts which are from the perspective of individuals who have a mindset similar to my own (and I’m pretty sure I failed to thank them for a Liebster Award nomination or something of the sort when I was busy moving to Colombia).
The Great Unwashed writes about her daily life and is absolutely hilarious. I also relate to her hatred of washing of any sort.
Sincerely, Jess is Jess’s blog about topics such as body image, race, feminism and faith. I love her honesty and her thoughts.
My “11” questions for these bloggers IF they decide to pass this own – no pressure on my part. There’s no way I can come up with 11 questions, so I’ll write four for the four bloggers I’ve nominated.
1. Where are you dreaming of traveling to now?
2. What food means “home” to you?
3. What is your life motto?
4. Cold or hot weather?
Here are the 11 questions from Reinvention Diary and my responses.
1) Why do you blog? I blog because I love to write. I also blog because it’s a good way to allow people close to me to keep up with what part of the world I’m living in.
2) What keeps your blog fresh? How do you keep from just repeating yourself? (I really want to know!) My mind is always full of 8,000 different thoughts. My life is almost always full of awkward, humorous or interesting events. My camera always has too many photos taking up the space on my memory card. Between these three things, I can usually find something to write about.
3) What is your spirit animal? The dog. If I could sleep, snuggle and eat all the time without feeling that my brain was wasting away, I would be extremely happy.
4) In one sentence, what do you think of “stuff”? I hate it.
5) Lefty or Righty? Lefty. No, I won’t have a shorter life span due to this.
6) Do you prefer city life or country life? I prefer country life within driving distance of a city.
7) If you discovered a magic ring that made you invisible, what would you do with it? I would use it to proctor tests in my classes.
8) Were you cheering for the Patriots or the Seahawks? I cheered for neither. I “watched” half the Super Bowl only because my friend wanted to see it. I am not a fan of American football for a multitude of reasons.
9) What makes you laugh? Lots of things including sarcasm, stupid humor, my own awkwardness and puppies.
10) What makes you want to pray? I pray the most when I am worried or sad. Recently I have been trying to also pray when I am happy.
11) What strengthens your faith? Suffering and serving are the two things that strengthen my faith most.
Here are the 11 random facts about me:
1. People regularly think that I smoke weed. I never have and don’t have any desire to do so in the future.
2. I was diagnosed with celiac disease before going gluten free was a fad. I have to eat gluten free for both my short-term and my long-term health.
3. I hate showering when it’s cold in the house.
4. I prefer my hair a little bit above shoulder length, but I don’t like paying for regular hair cuts.
5. Because I never studied Spanish at a university outside of one useless class, I have almost no confidence in my ability to write and speak academic Spanish.
6. Here in Colombia, I eat 3-4 plantains a week.
7. I don’t play video games because I’m bad at them and they give me motion sickness.
8. I didn’t start dating until was 18, and I have no regrets about that.
9. I don’t like swimming.
10. I really really want two tattoos (I already have the designs in mind) and a tragus piercing, but I’m super picky about artists and piercers. Plus, I don’t feel that it would be wise to spend the money right now.
11. I can crack my lower back, my upper back, my shoulders, my neck, and my knuckles.